Friday, October 8

anti-idiocy or anti-thinking?

I couldn't figure out how to dial the U.S. from my phone at work. All the phones here seem overly complicated, and I'm tired, so I decided to just google "switzerland united states call". Voila, I got minutely detailed instructions on how to do it.
1. Determine what time it is in the United States. Switzerland is 1 hour ahead of Greenwich Mean Time, which means that it's 6 hours later in Switzerland than it is on the East Coast of the United States, and 9 hours later than it is on the West Coast.

2. Dial 00, the international access code for Switzerland.

3. Dial the country code for the United States, which is 1.

It reminds me of the instructions on the fruit roll-ups I used to eat as a kid. When I was little, I don't think they had any instructions. But by the time I was maybe 12 or so, they said, "1. Unwrap, 2. Unroll, 3. Eat" and had pictures to boot. The best part is the "eat": as if you'd unroll it and then wonder what to do next. "Is it safe to eat yet?"

And yes, I finally got my call through. The guy wasn't there, though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home