Sunday, February 27

i [heart] russell

Though I watched it only a couple weeks ago, I barely remember the movie I [Heart] Huckabees because I watched it on the plane on the way to England and a sleeping pill I'd taken had just started kicking in. I remember liking it. It was a good send off to dreamland. I thought it was maybe a nice light satire and that's it.

But then I read an interview in the Believer with the director, David O. Russell, in the Believer, which made me want to watch it again. First off, it turns out he directed Three Kings and Flirting With Disaster, two funny, solid movies I loved. The interview mentions scenes from the movie that I recall foggily as being good, and which sound hilarious. Plus he references Franny and Zooey and Yeats ("The Second Coming": "The best lack all conviction, while the worst / Are full of passionate intensity."). Double plus he seems honestly into Zen and is an amateur philosopher, like me, and was an activist for a while, which I flirted with.

I want to hang out with him. But first I'll just watch his movies again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home